Monday, October 22, 2007

FIRES!!!

I'm on lock down today at my California apartment in Santa Clarita. One of the biggest fires is just a few miles away. In a matter of a few hours, SoCal completely exploded in flames. I've never seen anything like it even though I was born and raised in Cali. Last night at sundown, I jumped on my MTB and road up to a ridge summit to get some photos of the large Agua Dulce and Castaic fires on the other side of the valley...absolutely incredible experience. The winds were blowing so hard it nearly blew me off my bike. Blinding dust, smoke, and ash. I rode down in near darkness along a deserted fire road listening to explosions from nearby homes going up in flames...very eerie...apocalyptic is how I've been describing it. More updates later today. If I can, I'm riding up to the top of the East Canyon ridge again for more sundown photos. For last night's comments, go to my Fire Update Page. From the SoCal flames today trying to stay cool, Coach RJ

No comments: